Last November, a fire in a Dallas apartment sent families out into the cold. The source is electrical, reports suggest, and four families were left to fend for themselves. No one would wish the same fate for their family, especially in winter, so you should check that everything in the house is in good working order.
Here’s how to prevent electrical wiring from causing a fire in your house:
Inspect the Electrical Circuit
This is something you cannot do on your own, so you’ll need electrical contractors like clementselectric.com to do this for you. They will know whether your circuit is overloaded or if your house is a fire hazard depending on the positioning of your appliances and extensions. They can also repair electrical problems even before they worsen.
Don’t Overload the Sockets
Houses usually have extensions to expand the number of appliances and gadgets they can have plugged in at once. If there is an extension for every room in the house, and each family member is using all the sockets in their room, you have an electrical problem waiting to happen. Use a socket calculator to see how many sockets you can use at once without causing problems to the electric circuit, which may result in a fire accident.
Mind the Water Splash
There may be a wall socket in the kitchen for your coffee maker or waffle maker. There may also be another one in the bathroom for your blower or hair iron. These are normal parts of the house. They should be safe, right? For the majority of people, they are safe, but if you’re splashing water everywhere, they may cause a short circuit in any of these sockets. Be mindful of your wet hair or an appliance that hasn’t completely dried. If there has been a spill, clean them up carefully.
Your house may be prone to fires without you knowing it. Be more responsible for preventing accidents at home.